Nostalgic TV shows and films are currently on trend, and producers are capitalizing on people’s sentimentalities by reviving programming that was popular in the ‘80s and ‘90s.
Nearly three decades after they paired up as Ted “Theodore” Logan and Bill S. Preston Esq. on the big screen, Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are teaming up for a third Bill & Ted film. The time travel comedy will be titled Bill & Ted Face The Music.
The movie is currently in pre-production and was written by franchise creators Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon, reported Deadline. Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest) will direct. Winter and Reeves said of the project: “We couldn’t be more excited to get the whole band back together again. Chris and Ed wrote an amazing script, and with Dean at the helm, we’ve got a dream team.”
Generation X flocked to theatres to watch Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989) and Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey (1991). The script for the first film was handwritten by Matheson and Solomon over the course of just four days. It centres on two dumb teenagers who use a time machine to do research for a history presentation. The teens favour the words “dude” and “excellent,” which are used dozens of times throughout the film.
“Fans of Bill and Ted have been waiting for Reeves and Winter to reunite since their last Bogus Journey in 1991. This is excellent!” said Alex Walton of Bloom Media.
In Face The Music, the two friends have grown into middle-aged family men. The pair has written thousands of songs, but none of them are good. A traveller from the future reveals that only their music can save the world. Bill and Ted embark on another time-travel adventure accompanied by their daughters to save the world. They meet a bunch of historical figures and music icons who will help them find a song to fulfill their destinies.
Fun facts about Bill & Ted:
- Reeves and Winter were cast opposite the roles they tried out for.
- Solomon and Matheson discovered Reeves and Winter when the pair was goofing off in a line outside McDonald’s.
- The first film takes place in 2688, 1988, 1805, 1879, 410 B.C., the fifteenth century, 1901, 1810, 1429, 1209, 1863, and 1,000,000 B.C.
- Many of the historical figures Bill and Ted encountered died tragically—many by execution or assassination.
- Pauly Shore auditioned for the role of Ted.
- The original title of Bogus Journey was Bill and Ted go to Hell.