Conor McGregor Charged With Assault, Criminal Mischief Following Rampage

UFC champ Conor McGregor turned himself into police following a backstage brawl at the Barclays Center in New York City on Thursday night. Police charged him and a member of his entourage, Cian Cowley, with assault and criminal mischief, according to multiple media outlets. Fighter Artem Lobov was also blamed for being involved in the altercation.

Video shows McGregor hurling a hand truck at a bus full of fighters after a press conference promoting Saturday’s UFC lightweight match between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway. McGregor broke a window on the bus, hurting flyweight Ray Borg, who reportedly sustained an eye injury. UFC fighter Michael Chiesa was also cut in the face and deemed unfit to fight by the New York State Athletic Commission and the UFC medical team.

Many believed McGregor was upset when he learned he would lose the title of lightweight champion after the upcoming fight between Nurmagomedov and Holloway, reported the New York Post. However, White spoke to McGregor following the incident and said the Irish brawler’s camp was angry with Nurmagomedov, who got into a confrontation with Lobov earlier this week at a hotel.

At least three matches on Saturday’s UFC 223 card have been cancelled due to the incident, including Lobov’s scheduled fight with Alex Caceres.

“UFC is working very closely with the New York Athletic Commission, Barclays Center security and law enforcement authorities,” UFC said in a statement. “All parties are working together to ensure the highest standard of proper safety precautions are implemented to protect the fans and athletes.

“The organization deems today’s disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow.”

McGregor last fought for the UFC in November 2016. UFC President Dana White declared he would be stripped of his title because he did not defend it. McGregor fought against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a boxing match in August 2017, which he lost.

White said earlier this week that McGregor would likely fight for UFC this year; however, the fighter’s involvement in the brawl may prevent that from happening.

At one point McGregor, 29, simultaneously held both the 145 and 155-pound championships.

Comments
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
This is a test