It’s a classic double standard: When we want to go away for a girls’ weekend, we just go. When you want to go away on a boys’ weekend, however, it’s not so easy. Think you can mention it casually on Wednesday night? Ha. If we don’t forbid you outright, we’ll hold a grudge for so long that no pond hockey tournament or foosball weekend will be worth the pain you’ll endure when you get home.
A weekend escape is, however, possible. But as with all bad news, you’ve got to sugar coat it. You’ve got to let us down gently. And then pray that we take it well. Some tips:
1. Lay the foundation early. When the date finally rolls around, I’ll have known about it for ages, so I can’t possibly get upset about it. (Note: I might still get upset about it.)
2. Tailor your plans to my schedule. If I’ve got a packed weekend planned, mobilize your boys. The busier I am, the less time I have to dwell.
3. Prioritize. Casino weekend with guys I’ve never heard of? That’s worth three weekends away with friends I like – and trust.
4. Make it sound official. Even if you’re just playing poker, call it an “annual memorial tournament” or something. I don’t want you going away for something frivolous. If it’s pulling you away, it’d better be a big deal.
5. Call when you say you’ll call and tell me that you miss me. Even if you don’t.
Image courtesy of kk+.