Sure, you can pop open the obligatory bubbly for a New Year’s toast. Nothing wrong with that. But neither is there anything wrong with switching things up a bit. Who says you can’t have a shot of something with a little more punch?
Here are Pursuit’s five fantastic alcoholic beverage suggestions to ring in New Years!
- Grey Goose vodka: according to the France-based company, they are the world’s leading super premium vodka, and touts itself as “made using only the finest ingredients.” For those who haven’t yet tried it, you’ll find notes of sweet citrus and white flowers, with a soft palette. Also, check out Grey Goose Twist & Reveal Gift Box, a great party host gift. Price from $17-$135 depending on size.
- Bombay Sapphire London Gin: Bombay Sapphire Gin is the UK-created spirit containing a combination of ten botanicals, including juniper berries from Tuscany. Bombay Sapphire’s proprietary distillation process is known as “vapour infusion”, said to distill “cleaner and fresher flavours.” Ideal, of course, for classic gin cocktails, such as the gin and tonic, martini, and collins. Prices range $30-$80 depending on size.
- Bacardi Reserva Ocho: according to the company, theirs is the world’s best-selling and most-awarded rum. The Reserva Ocho was the Bacardi family’s personal reserve for seven generations. Bacardi Superior is said to be recognized ‘round the world as the spirit that inspired many popular rum-based cocktails. Price $31.
- Luksusowa vodka: Since 1928, this Polish brand – which means “luxurious” – extracts the essences entirely from potatoes, to deliver earthy aromas with mineral and herbal notes. Goes down smooth; nice neat or in any cocktail. $20-$50 range depending on size.
- Forty Creek Unity’s limited-release officially launched during Whisky Weekend in September, with only 15,000 bottles produced. It was created with a cornucopia of processes and ingredients: a blend of Canadian whiskies, aged with high mocha wood staves, combined with 10-year-old corn whisky, and a small amount of rare Portuguese-style Starboard 15 year-aged wine. $79.95/bottle.
For Gin Lovers:
Winter Whiteout Negroni
1 part Bombay Sapphire
1 part Martini Bianco
1 part Luxardo Bitter Bianco
1 cinnamon stick
Method: In a mixing glass, add the Bombay Sapphire, Martini Bianco and Luxardo bitter Bianco. Fill the mixing glass with ice and stir to chill and add dilution. Strain the cocktail into a rocks glass over fresh ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
For Rum Lovers:
2 parts BACARDÍ Ocho
0.5 parts honey
0.75 parts lemon juice
1 part apple cider (Juice)
1 part Perrier
2 parts dry sparkling apple cider (5%abv) Brickworks
Garnish with cinnamon sticks, optional dehydrated apple slices
Method: In a large wine glass, add the Ocho, honey and lemon juice. Fill the glass with ice and stir gently to mix the ingredients. Top with Perrier and Apple cider. Stir again gently to mix, top with more ice. Garnish and serve.