Our very favourite Washington dirt bag returns tomorrow—no, not Dick Cheney, we’re talking about Frank Underwood—so to celebrate, why not mix up a cocktail or three? Now personally, we’re big fans of Basil Hayden’s Power Play, which also happens to be the simplest of the three. For something very special, try the Knob Creek Liberty Old Fashioned (if you can’t get the mole bitters, look for chocolate bitters). And for something a touch spicy, go with the Q: Let’s Be Frank.
Basil Hayden’s® Power Play
Recipe by LA Mixologist, Joel Black of Black LAB Ventures
1 1/2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
1/2 part fresh lemon juice
3/4 parts simple syrup
2 drops of vanilla extract
Splash of root beer
1. In a double old-fashioned glass, add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, lemon juice, simple syrup, vanilla extract and ice, top with root beer.
2. Pour mixture into a mixing tin then back into the double old-fashioned glass.
3. Add an additional splash of root beer and garnish with a lemon rind.
Knob Creek® Liberty Old Fashioned
Recipe by Maria Polise | Philadelphia, PA
1 1/2 part Knob Creek® Bourbon
3/4 part Amaro Averna
3/4 part Carpano Antica
2 dashes Bitterman’s Xoxolatl Mole™ Bitters
1 barspoon of simple syrup
1 strawberry, sliced
1 sprig mint
1. Combine the strawberry and simply syrup in an Old Fashioned glass and muddle.
2. Add the Knob Creek® Bourbon, Amara Averna, Carpano Antica, and bitters with ice to the glass and stir until diluted.
3. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Q: Let’s Be Frank
4 ounces Q Ginger
3 dashes orange bitters
2 ounces bourbon
1 ounce SNAP ginger liqueur
1 orange wedge
1. Fill highball glass with ice. Add SNAP ginger liqueur, bourbon, and bitters.
2. Top with Q Ginger and gently stir.
3. Garnish with an orange wedge.