The United Nations General Assembly mandated International Volunteer Day in 1985. It is a global celebration, which takes place on December 5 each year promoting the efforts of local, national, and international volunteers.
This year’s theme is #VolunteersActFirst.Here.Everywhere to recognize those who have responded in times of crisis, those who have helped save lives, and those who supported others to live their lives with dignity. This week, various organizations across Canada will hold festivities to celebrate the time their volunteers have devoted to helping others.
If you’re wondering how you too can get involved in your community, you can start by finding your nearest volunteer centre. These centers work locally to increase community engagement. There are over 200 in Canada and they can help connect you with volunteer opportunities in your area.
Because volunteer opportunities are unique to each region, we’ve listed just a few projects in need of volunteers across the country. For more local service projects, visit your local volunteer centre.
- United Way Northwest Territories – Habitat for Humanity NWT ReStore is looking for volunteers to help in the operation on ReStore. For more information, visit United Way’s site.
- Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon – Kids Help Phone is looking for Crisis Responder volunteers to give young people the support they need through text messages. Read more here.
- Chillliwack Community Services – To assist in welcoming newcomers to Canada and support their integration into the country, visit their site for more information.
- Volunteer & Information Centre of Hastings and Prices Edward Counties – The Community Development Council needs Good Food Box Packers to assist area residents meet the needs of their families. To start helping, visit their site.
- Centre de Bénévolat et Moisson Laval – Volunteers are needed to spend time with senior citizens. Visit the site here for more details.
If you aren’t sure what kind of volunteering might best suit you, take the volunteer quiz courtesy of Volunteer Canada.