You say kabob, we say kebab: Let’s eat the whole thing for lunch. No matter how you spell it, meat may be at its finest when it’s skewered and grilled. Here, Calgary’s top 10.
1. Atlas Specialty Supermarket & Persian Cuisine is known for koobideh (ground beef) and joojeh (marinated chicken) kebabs. The chef combo includes both. $15.99, 1000 9th Avenue S.W., 403-230-0990.
2. Kabab Hut’s kebab wrap combines clay-oven beef kebab with yoghurt chutney in house-made naan. $8, 155 5120 47 Street N.E., 403-590-7101.
3. Mirchi satisfies evening kebab cravings with its beefy Mirchi kebab. $8.99, 101-825 12 Avenue S.W., 403-245-3663 and 739 2nd Avenue S.W. 403-262-7222.
4. Istanbul Kebab House is a favourite with James Fowler High School students; brave the teen crowds for the Turkish beef kebab. $11.95, 4129 4th Street N.W., 403-229-0542.
5. House of Kabob’s Tuesday special is flame-broiled beef kubideh with rice and grilled tomatoes. $7.95, 1115 Edmonton Trail N.E., 403-398-6718.
6. Shawarma Station makes a mean chicken kebab plate, best topped with their spicy hummus. $11.50, 106-227 10 Street N.W. 403-283-0606
7. Babylon Qithara heaps its hearty mixed kebab platter with beef, lamb and chicken kebabs plus hummus, garlic and yoghurt dips. $19.99, 311-2555 32 Street N.E., 403-219-2121.
8. Royal Kabab Express goes big with its barg kebab, a giant marinated steak skewer. $15.99, 20B 14 Street N.W., 403-270-4323.
9. Aida’s Mediterranean Bistro marinates its lamb kebab in a knockout curry-oregano blend. $20, 2208 Fourth Street S.W., 403-541-1189.
10. Luxor Emporium Café grills Egyptian-style beef, chicken and lamb kebabs over charcoal. $13.95, 937 Seventh Avenue S.W., 403-282-0030.
Image courtesy of DeusXFlorida.