Do a wicked Sean Connery? Well, don’t bother—men can’t manipulate their voices to sound any sexier than they actually are. Women can, though, but you probably already knew that.
The study, counter-intuitively published in the Journal of Nonverbal Behaviour, examined whether men and women can manipulate their voices to sound sexy, confident, intelligent, or dominant. Researchers had forty participants (twenty men, twenty women) provide voices samples of them trying to achieve each trait. A different set of forty participants then evaluated how effective each sample was. They got some fun results:
- Women can easily manipulate their voices to sound sexier just by dropping it lower and sounding more breathy.
- Men attempting to sound sexy end up sounding worse than if they hadn’t tried.
- Both men and women can manipulate their voices to sound more intelligent.
- Women couldn’t manipulate their voices to sound more confident.
- Men could manipulate their voices to sound more confident—but only to female raters.
- Both men and women can sound dominant.
So, word of advice: go for confident. Women like that.